Skip to main content

A Fish Story


Here's a story about a very unusual experience that I had in connection with the Regenerating Images in Memory (RIM) technique that my research team is currently studying. It's a fish story, and like all good fish stories you can decide what you'd like to believe about it.

At the end of the fall semester, when everyone was overwhelmed with final grades and holiday events, my colleague Laurra Aagaard led an activity in our monthly faculty meeting to help us manage our stress. After asking us to close our eyes and breathe deeply, she asked us to descend into whatever part of our body felt like a source of calm in the end-of-the-semester storm. For me, this felt like sinking deep into my chest, but also like I was going deep underwater. It was calm and cool there, far from the activity back up on the surface. Laurra suggested that a resource would appear to support us. Because I was underwater, what I noticed near me was a fish. 

It wasn't just any fish. In fact, I realized that I knew this fish. Her name was Goldenflower, and she was a lyretail panda molly from my daughter's fish tank. The actual Goldenflower had in fact died about a month before this. But she was a very distinctive fish, and it was clearly her in my experience. Although I knew I was sitting in my chair in a conference room, with my faculty colleagues around me, I also very strongly felt that I was underwater talking to Goldenflower. 

I actually didn't like Goldenflower very much in life: She was the largest fish in the tank, and she seemed mean. She often swam aggressively at the other fish, sometimes biting them. There were baby fish in the tank a few times (mollys are live bearers), and we were pretty sure that Goldenflower had eaten a number of them. I distinctly remember thinking, "really? Goldenflower?" and checking again. Yes, it was definitely her, and no, she wasn't going anywhere.

Laurra asked us what message our resource had for us during this challenging time. OK, I thought, I will talk to the fish. When I asked Goldenflower what she wanted to tell me, she said this: "I am a big fish." Yes, I thought, and not a very nice one! "I am a big fish," she repeated. "When something gets in my way, I eat it." I then proceeded to argue with the fish. I told her that wasn't OK, and it seemed aggressive, and that it wasn't a good way to live. (My children find this part very amusing: You met your spirit animal, Dad, and you argued with her, they said. Yeah, that sounds a lot like you!) Goldenflower was impassive, and just repeated again "I am a big fish." The exercise was coming toward the end, and I demanded to know why she was telling me this. "You are a big fish," she said. "If you have troubles, eat them. Be a big fish."

That was it. I came up out of the water and back to myself, with more questions than answers. But I have returned to that message multiple times since, when something stressful comes my way. "It can't bother me," I think, "I am a big fish." This is not something that comes to me naturally. When I later told Laurra what I had seen, she laughed and said, "Paul, you're probably the nicest big fish I know." But perhaps it is an aspect of myself that I need more of, not taking things on that I don't need to own. It still feels a bit over the top to me, but something about the fish encounter gave me permission to change my own approach. The whole thing has a Jungian "anima" feel, as though Goldenflower was an aspect of universal consciousness breaking through into my own experience with a message I needed to hear. 

My experience is not atypical of what happens to many people during RIM. They frequently report that the imagery has a very intense quality, a "more real than reality" feel to it. There is also what's sometimes described as an "ineffable" quality, the idea that the experience is important but also difficult to put into words. Over time, other people in the participant's life often comment that something seems different about them, which is something that Laurra also reflected back to me. She said that I seemed more comfortable or relaxed in recent weeks, which might have been related to the fish encounter. 

Again, you can take this fish story for whatever it's worth. I thought it was an interesting example of the surprising truths that can sometimes bubble up from the Intuitive mind, in ways that the more logical Narrative mind was least expecting.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

What You Believe about Beliefs is Probably Wrong

The Stanford Encyclopedia of Philosophy  defines a "belief" as "the attitude we have, roughly, whenever we take something to be the case or regard it as true. ... Most contemporary philosophers characterize belief as a 'propositional attitude,' [where] propositions are generally taken to be whatever it is that sentences express. For example ... 'snow is white.'" Beliefs, then, (a) are expressed in language, (b) refer to some specific contents such as "snow," and (c) express some truth about those contents. The truth need not be an empirical statement about the world -- propositions such as "x is the square root of x-squared" are also beliefs under this definition even when there is no empirical referent for "x." Beliefs can be about a single thing, or about the relationships between things, in which case they might or might not be expressed as formal rules: e.g., "every bird has wings." Language, representation...

In Pursuit of Digital Badges

  What's the appeal of digital badges? I used to think that only a crazy person would be motivated to exercise just to move some electrons around on their smartphone screen. My phone would notify me that a new challenge was available each month, and I would routinely ignore it. I felt no pain or consternation about this -- in fact, I never gave it a second thought, or never notice the challenge at all. But for the past few months it seems that I'm among those who increase their activity level just because their iPhone tells them to (my latest badges shown above). Why does this seemingly stupid behavior-change strategy work, and why did it start working for me when it didn't help me before? First, it's important to know that rewards do motivate behavior. In a previous post on behaviorism I provided some background on how this works by training the Intuitive Mind. Two Minds Theory posits that the final stage before a behavior is produced by the Intuitive Mind (after proc...

Some Things That AI Probably Shouldn't Do

  I'm on record endorsing the use of AI by students to improve the quality of their writing and their thinking, but also expressing concern about the potential for autonomous AI to end civilization! So what's the deal here? Am I for AI or against it? As in many areas of life, the answer is "it depends ...". In this blog post, I will look at some things that AI probably should not  be doing for us, which might help to delineate the areas in which it can be more beneficial. Let's start with ethics. Although some techno-futurists have argued that AI will eventually be better at knowing what's good for us than we are ourselves, a recent report showed that a "robo-ethicist" using large language models (LLM) showed notable flaws in its reasoning. LLMs' ethics were consistently more influenced by utilitarian thinking (do what causes the least harm or the most benefit in this specific situation) than by reasoning from first principles (Kant's id...